Agendas & Minutes, 2022

Thursday 20th October 2022
Committee Meeting Minutes

Held at The Boringdon Arms, 19:30

Present
Margaret Eves: Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Hilary Poyntz: Honorary Secretary
Mike Poyntz: Honorary Treasurer

Paul Evans: Membership Secretary
David Evans: Committee Member
Sandra Lerpiniere: Committee Member

Item 1: Apologies received
Pip & Lynne Shell, Graham Norris.

The  Vice-Commodore opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.

Item 2: Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting
The Minutes of the Cattewater Cruising Club Committee Meeting held on 28th April 2022 were accepted as a true record.

It was proposed by Sandra Lerpiniere and seconded by David Evans, that the minutes should be accepted as a true record. The Committee members were all in agreement.

Item 3: Matters arising from the Previous Minutes
3.1:
Prize Giving Event 22nd October – Lynne is to investigate options for mini-bus taxi and report back. Margaret reported that this could not be economically arranged.
3.2: Lynne is to look into options for the Christmas social event, at a hotel or similar venue organising party nights, and report in good time for circulation to membership and booking.
On-going. China Fleet Country Club booked for 10th December.
3.3: Andrew is to provide a dedicated link for membership application forms on the website.
3.4: Paul is to make enquiries on how we can be included in future editions of Reeds Almanac.
3.5: Margaret is to obtain further information on printing of Club branded clothing and circulate details to membership with some costs.                                                                      

Item 4: Rear Commodore Sail’s report
The 2022 Sailing Season witnessed a full return to Club events with a programme of 10 planned Cruises plus an additional visit to Fowey Regatta, a total of 11 Cruises over the season. The normally changeable nature of local weather, met with some adjustments to the planned programme, but out of the 11 planned 8 went ahead.

With a total of 69 entries, an average of between 6/7 boats per cruise, with the welcome return of social activities on afloat and ashore.

The Club’s WhatsApp groups providing members with news and updates over the season.

Margaret thanked Alan for his report.

Item 5: Honorary Treasurer’s Report.
Treasurers Report as at 19th October 2022

Total in bank accounts as at 19th October 2022
Treasure’s Account: £1968.11
Business Account: £1063.49
Total: £3031.60

Budgeted future Income / Expenditure remaining for Financial Year 2022 – 2023:
Budgeted Income: £0 (membership fees)
Projected expenses: £296.00

Prizegiving evening meal costs have passed through the accounts but are cost neutral.

Estimated end of year budgeted balance: £102.52

The budget deficit estimate is better than the original forecast which included a £100 subsidy for the end of season awards evening but this will not now be required. The estimate assumes that all of the budget provision for prizes and engraving will be utilised.

£80.00 has been collected towards the Christmas party at China Fleet and paid to the venue.

If no unexpected expenditure items arise, Mike thinks that we might break-even this year, if the only further costs are trophy engraving.

Margaret reported that all the remaining stock of engraved tumblers would be handed out at the forthcoming prize evening. Mike agreed to look at the accounts and establish who supplied them so we can re-order similar.
Action: Mike to establish the supplier of the engraved tumblers and obtain costs for re-order.

Margaret thanked Mike for his report.

Item 6: Membership Secretary’s report
Membership as at 1st April 2022:
66
New members joined in this period: 4
Total membership as at 30th September: 70 (includes 8 life members)
Membership fee income: £60.00
Total members’ yachts listed: 35
Burgees sold in this period: 3
Burgee income: £45.00
New Members April to September 2022: 4
Kevin & Allison Healiss
Philip & Julia Green

Paul is completing the RYA annual survey on behalf of Pip.

Paul suggested that we need to start a recruiting drive to swell numbers.

Membership fees are increasing to £20.00 per annum. Although some debate was raised about possibly losing members, on the whole, it was thought that against the general cost of yachting, that this would not put people off.

Margaret thanked Paul for his report.

Item 7: Social Secretary’s Report
In Lynne’s absence Margaret updated the Committee on the prizegiving evening and indicated a good selection of prizes for the raffle had been obtained from local businesses. Hilary suggested a letter from the Club, to thank those businesses should be sent, and agreed to write on behalf of the Club.

It was decided that only two raffle prizes should be recommended per person, to make a general dispersal fairer. A dummy prize, of a toilet roll, was suggested to be given to winners of a third prize!
Action: Hilary to send letter of thanks for the prize draw donations to those businesses which contributed.

Item 8: Webmaster’s Report
In Andrew’s absence Mike indicated that David Hallett had responded to the last minutes to assure us that he is happy to continue hosting the Club website for the foreseeable future.

Item 9: Update of Future Events
The election of Officers and Committee members will be discussed in the next meeting on 19/01/23.

Winter walks will start soon, with details to follow.

Our club has been invited to the FOGOF which will be visiting Roscoff on 23/06/23.

Item 10: Any Other Business
It was suggested that a larger version of the Cattewater Cruising Club flag could be shown flying from our boats, during our cruises. Potentially this could advertise the club and hopefully attract some new members. The “Hampshire Flag” company have our template design which could be used to screen print flags on request. Mike agreed to ask about prices for these items.
Action: Mike to contact Hampshire Flag Co. to price large scale Club flags.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.00 pm.

Thursday 28th April 2022

Committee Meeting Minutes

Held at The Boringdon Arms, 19:30

Present:
PIP Shell: Commodore (via Zoom)
Margaret Eves: Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Hilary Poyntz: Honorary Secretary
Mike Poyntz: Honorary Treasurer
Paul Evans: Membership Secretary
Lynne Shell: Social Secretary (via Zoom)
Andrew Pascoe: Webmaster
David Evans: Committee Member (via Zoom) 
Sandra Lerpiniere: Committee Member
Graham Norris: Committee Member
Apologies received: None

The  Commodore opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.

Item 1: Apologies for absence
None

Item 2: Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting(s) held online on 13th & 20th January, 2022
The Minutes of the Cattewater Cruising Club Committee Meeting held on 13th & 20th January 2022 were accepted as a true record.

It was proposed by Dave Evans and seconded by Margaret Eves that the minutes should be accepted as a true record. The Committee members were all in agreement.

Item 3: Matters arising
3.1.
Honorary Secretary to send out AGM notification, agenda, details of nominations of Officers     and Committee Members, together with details of proposed amendments to the Club Constitution: Completed
3.2. 
Lynne to send notification of buffet meal option at the AGM: Completed
3.3.
Paul to issue renewal invitations to membership at current rates during February: Completed
3.4.  Hilary to check with RYA and ensure Cruising Newsletter is received and circulated to membership: Completed

Item 4: 2022 AGM
A general discussion on the venue and outcome of the 2022 AGM. The consensus was that the AGM was successful and even the Zoom links eventually worked for Pip and Lynne, after a few teething issues. The venue was a suitable size for our meeting, and the food provided by the Plym Yacht Club was of good quality and ample amounts. It was agreed that the PYC premises would be suitable for next year.

Item 5: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report
Eddystone rally:
details have been circulated to membership. Cost will be £30 per boat registration and expected fund raising for charity of choice of £100. Little interest to date from general membership.

Cruise No1 to Fowey: the inaugural cruise for the season went ahead with seven boats attending.

Cruise No2: again to Fowey is scheduled for 30th April.

Alan thanked Paul Evans for the updated membership details and boat list.

The Winter Walks Series has been completed and Alan recorded his thanks to those who assisted, plus thanks to PYC for inviting members to talks over the winter months.

Discussion on What’s App groups and which group should be used. Andrew stated the cruise specific group was intended to keep unnecessary messaging from the general group such as which pontoon we are allocated or timings of arrival etc. It was agreed that photos of boats, people and items of general interest should be on the general What’s App group which will help promote the events.

Item 6: Honorary Treasurer’s Report
Treasurers Report as at 27 April 2022

Total in bank accounts as at 27 April 2022
Treasurer’s Account: £1887.11
Business Account: £1063.32
Total: £2950.43

Budgeted future Income / Expenditure remaining for Financial Year 2022 – 2023:
Budgeted Income: £150.00 (membership fees)
Projected expenses: £420.00
Estimated end of year budgeted balance: £157.52

Mike indicated that the budget forecast was based on 65 renewing/paying members. At current time we have 57 members paid up. There usually are a few more joiners during the course of the year. The budget deficit forecast also includes provision for £100 subsidy for the end of season awards evening. If the venue we choose for this evening does not require minimum numbers or subsidy, then the budget may be more balanced.

Pip thanked Mike for his report.

Item 7: Membership Secretary’s Report as at 28th April 2022
Members renewed:
54
New members: 3
Membership fee income at  57 x £15.00: £855.00
Members paid in lockdowns,  valid  31-Mar-23: 2, no income this year
Known leavers 2020 – 2022: 20
Life members: 8
Potential new members  (not yet paid): 2
Burgees sold 2022: 2
Burgee income: £30.00
Total Members: 66

Pip confirmed he had sent welcome letters to the new members and thanked Paul for his report.

Item 8: Social Secretary’s Report
Lynne confirmed she has booked the Staddon Heights Golf Club for our Prize Giving Event 22nd Oct 2022. We have exclusivity of the room and there is no fee regardless of numbers. Sample menu has been circulated which all seem happy with. Margaret asked if we could consider a mini bus taxi to/from PYH to avoid the drive for those staying on boats. Lynne promised to look into this.

Action: Lynne to investigate options for mini-bus taxi and report back.

Pip thanked Lynne for her report.

Item 9: Webmaster’s Report
Andrew indicated that currently the web site is hosted as good will / without charge but there may come a time when this is no longer available and we should be prepared to move to a commercial hosting arrangement. Mike indicated he knows of a company who should be able to accommodate us should this become necessary.

Updated cruise reports and photos are still required to keep the web page current. Also, photos need to be loaded to the Facebook site to keep current.

Pip thanked Andrew for his report.

Item 10: Update of Future Events
10.1.
Committee meeting at The Borringdon Arms on 13th October, 2022: Agreed
10.2. Prizegiving / Laying Up Supper on 22 October, 2022: booked
10.3. Christmas Social; Lynne to look into options once venues publish dates usually around June time.

Action: Lynne to look into options for Christmas social at a hotel or similar venue organising party nights, and report in good time for circulation to membership and booking.

Item 11: Any Other Business
11.1.
Andrew gave some figures regarding number of visits to the web site which was quite high, although he explained many of these might be ‘bots’ gathering data or looking for financial information.
April 2022  web page visits: 505
Year to date: 1851

These are surprisingly high and show quite a lot of interest in the Club. Andrew indicated Google Analytics is to be added which will give us greater data on visits to our site.

Mike asked if the membership application forms could be placed in a more prominent location as currently, they are not easy to find.
Action: Andrew to provide a dedicated link for membership application forms on the website.

11.2. Pip thought we should promote that we are a cruising club, not racing and we accommodate all levels of sailing and that the cruises are the biggest draw. More reports and photos of the events including members boats under sail would be useful to promote this.
11.3. Paul stated that Reeds Almanac lists all the other sailing clubs in Plymouth but not us. He undertook to try and find out how we could be listed.
Action: Paul to make enquiries on how we can be included in future editions of Reeds Almanac.
11.4. Margaret gave some details of a new firm who can provide Club logo clothing or print / embroidery  logo and boat name to own provided clothes.
Action: Margaret to obtain further information and circulate details to membership with some costs.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.20 pm.

Saturday 26th March 2022

Annual General Meeting Minutes

Held at Plym Yacht Club, 18:30

Present:
Pip Shell: Commodore (via Zoom)
Margaret Eves: Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Hilary Poyntz: Honorary Secretary
Mike Poyntz: Honorary Treasurer
Lynne Shell: Social Secretary (via Zoom)
Paul Evans: Membership Secretary
David Evans: Committee Member
Sandra Lerpiniere: Committee Member
Graham Norris: Committee Member

Together with 12 other Voting Members.

The Honorary Secretary confirmed that the attendance of a minimum of 17 voting members established the quorum necessary for business to be conducted.

Item 1: Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence had been received from the following members:  Andrew Pascoe, Ruth Wilcox, Ron & Lucy Lee.

Item 2: No further action necessary
matters arising from previous AGM dealt with as part of ‘normal business’ last year.

Item 3: Commodore’s Report
Pip welcomed all attending, and thanked all for taking the time to attend this year’s AGM. Pip read his previously circulated report as follows:

“It would be safe to say there have been many hands on the tiller during my first year as Commodore so I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the club officers and committee members for supporting me and guiding me through the uncertain times of Covid restrictions etc.

The club has over the last few years progressed quietly in many ways, our financial practises, Zoom meetings and the use of social media name a few. However, some things have become stuck in time it seems.

Trawling through past Commodores’ reports two things get mentioned more often than anything else.

The bad weather and attendance. We can’t do much about the weather but we could try and improve the attendance. Be it on cruises or social functions. Our main function as a club as I see it, is bringing like-minded people together to cruise and socialise and have a bit of fun.  As well as an enviable cruising programme we have monthly socials at the Boringdon Arms, winter walks and our annual photographic competition and prize giving event. All of which should generate some interest and we should probably try better to encourage the fringe members to participate more. To show them we are all alike and learning from each other.

As we have no real estate as such, the club is its members and the success of the club is purely down to the level of participation of its members. I would urge members to do their best to support the club cruises and social events.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who took the trouble of checking on members boats during the recent stormy weather and to wish everyone a successful and enjoyable forthcoming sailing season.”

Item 4: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report
Alan read his report, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder.

“The May 2021 easing of Covid restrictions, signalled the delayed start to the sailing season. A new revised sailing programme published of 7 cruises with a start date from Mid-May.

Of the 7 cruises planned 5 went ahead with two cancelled due to poor weather forecast over the period of the cruise.

I received a total of 73 entries for the planned cruises.

A winter programme of walks published weekly over the winter months, I would like to take this opportunity to thank members, Bill Joice and Paul Evans for their support with the winter walking programme.

Over the closed season C.C.C. has received kind invitations from Plym Yacht Club and the Fowey FOGOF 2022 Event, firstly for two interesting talks at P.Y.C. secondly invitation to members for entries for the 2022 Fowey FOGOF sailing event, with contacts and details emailed to members.

I would like to thank members, committee and Club Officers for their support over the 2021 year, I look forward to a great sailing year ahead.”

Item 5: Membership Secretary’s Report
Paul read his report, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder:

1: The annual renewal of Membership is currently ongoing; the figures as at 18th March 2022 are as follows:
a: A total of 35 members have renewed and paid their membership for the 2022 – 2023 sailing season.
b: There have been 7 people who have stated they will not be renewing their membership.
c: One potential new member has submitted an application form but have yet to pay their fees.
d: One person has asked to re-join the Club but has not yet completed an application form or paid their fee.
2: A reminder email will be sent to those members who have yet to pay their fees before the end of March 2022.
3: It may be prudent for the Club to start an advertising campaign to attract more members who berth boats at the various Plymouth marinas.
4: A reminder to members to let me have any details of changes in boat ownership or change of mobile numbers and WhatsApp requirements.
5: An updated membership list and boat list will be published before the end of April 2022.”

Item 6:  Social Secretary’s report
The Social Secretary’s report was read aloud by Hilary Poyntz, due to Lyn being unable to attend the meeting in person, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder.

This year we have only had one organized social event, the Prize Giving and Photographic Competition at The Bridge. Unfortunately, we were short of people attending and ended up having to pay £200 to the Bridge for the hire of the room. It was disappointing that there wasn’t more interest but also disappointing that the Bridge felt they needed to charge us.

Therefore, this year I am looking at a different venue which might prove more popular without the added cost of room charge. This will mean travelling a little further from the marina though.

The social meetings each month at the Boringdon Arms continue to prove popular with members and thankyou to Margaret for posting the reminders.

Also, Alan Eves and Bill Joice have been working together to organize some great winter walks. We went on the walk at Parke which was great although a bit muddy. Come along if you haven’t before, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am sure we are all looking forward to the year ahead and I am happy to continue in my role unless there is anyone out there that would like to have a go.

Item 7: Webmaster’s Report
Mike Poyntz read Andrew’s Web report as Andrew was unable to attend the meeting:

The cruise calendar is, as stated previously, on the club’s web site and I look forward to interesting/amusing cruise reports over the coming months.

More photos of members’ boats would be appreciated for uploading.

The vast majority of legacy pdf files have been converted to sit on the relevant pages, in chronological order.

Item 8: Presentation of accounts by the Honorary Treasurer
Mike stated that a copy of the Honorary Treasurer’s report together with the signed off Income and Expenditure account for the year ending 28th February 2022, and notes to the Income and Expenditure account had been circulated to all Members, by email, prior to the meeting.

He confirmed that the accounts had been examined by the Club Accounts Examiner, Colin Ayres, and found to be correct and he expressed his thanks to Colin for completing the examination of accounts.

Briefly the Club ended the year with a deficit £592.21 in line with previous predictions, due primarily to the decision of the Committee to amend the renewal premium to £10 for the last year. This was as a consequence of the £509 surplus in the previous year 2020/21, combine with the fact that the Club was not able to organise many cruises or events due to Covid-19 restrictions. This reduction would produce a calculated shortfall of £400. The Club also saw increased cost associated with the end of season prizegiving evening and an unplanned £200 room charge as we were unable to secure the minimum number of attendees for this event.

Proposed Budget for 2022/23
This has been circulated with the accounts. The predicted budget status has assumed a membership of 65 paying members. Members can see that due to the increased costs the current membership fee is no longer able to cover all our expenditure items, and we are likely to make a loss of circa £157 in the current year, and subsequent years unless there is a change of fee charged.

Recommendation
Under our constitution any change in the membership fee charged needs to be ratified at a General Meeting. A separate agenda item will consider this matter after all other reports have been received.

It was proposed by David Evans and seconded by Val Ayres that the signed-off Income and Expenditure account for the year ending 28th February 2022 should be accepted as a true record, and members were unanimous in support of the proposal.

Decision: The Examined Accounts, a copy of which is attached to these minutes, were accepted as a true and accurate record of the Club’s finances for the financial year ending 28th February 2022.

Item 9: Approval of amendment 3 to revision 2 to the club constitution
Pip reminded the meeting that a copy of the draft amendment and rationale had been circulated by e-mail to members prior to the meeting.

He stated that the Club membership is growing but the proportion of members who live locally is falling; the timing of the AGM, which is held early in the season, is not convenient for those members travelling from afar.

If attendances at the AGM do not keep pace with the growth in membership, we will have a problem in achieving a quorum of 25% and it is proposed to reduce the quorum to 15% of voting members. This in no way effects the voting rights of members.

It was proposed by Sandra Lerpiniere and seconded by David Evans that the amendment 3 to revision 2 to the club constitution should be accepted.

Members were unanimous in support of the proposal.

Decision: Amendment 3 to revision 2 to the club constitution be accepted.

Item 10: Election of Club officers
Pip referred members to the sheet, which had recently been circulated with the AGM reminder; it concerned the election of club officers and listed the nominations for the 5 positions as follows:

Commodore: Pip Shell
Vice Commodore: Margaret Eves
Rear Commodore Sail: Alan Eves
Honorary Secretary: Hilary Poyntz
Honorary Treasurer: Mike Poyntz

It was proposed by Colin Ayres and seconded Ian Foster that these 5 nominees should be elected to serve in the posts given for the coming year. There was a majority agreement to the proposition.

Decision: The Club Officers for the 2018 – 2019 season were elected as listed above.

Item 11:  Election of club committee members
Pip referred the members to a further sheet which had been sent out with the AGM reminder; which listed nominations received for committee member positions as follows:

Social Secretary: Lynne Shell
Webmaster: Andrew Pascoe
Committee: David Evans, Sandra Lerpiniere & Graham Norris

It was proposed by Val Ayres and seconded by Lyn Sims that the above members should be elected to serve in the posts as listed for the coming year. The proposal was carried unanimously.

Decision: The club committee members for the 2022-2023 season were elected as listed above.

Item 12: Appointment of the club’s accounts examiner
Pip expressed the club’s gratitude to Colin Ayres for completing the accounts examination and Colin confirmed he was willing to continue in this capacity.

Mike Sims proposed that Colin Ayres should be appointed as the club’s accounts examiner for the 2022 – 2023 financial year; this was seconded by Dave Evans and agreed unanimously.

Decision:  Colin Ayres was appointed as the club’s accounts examiner for the 2022-2023 financial year.

Item 13:  Membership fees for the financial year 2022-2023
Mike introduced the item by referring the members to the draft budget for the year 2022 – 2023 previously copied to them by e mail. The income for that draft budget was calculated on a membership of 65 and an annual subscription of £15 per member. This shows that at £15 per member the club will be running at a loss for the future even with increased membership numbers. An increase in fees for the 2023 – 2024 season to £20 per member would put the club back into a small surplus.

It was proposed by Mike Sims and seconded by Dave Evans that the draft budget be accepted and the rate for the annual subscription for the financial year 2023 – 2024 should be £20 and there was unanimous agreement by members.

Decision: The membership fee for the year 2023- 2024 is to be £20.

Item14: Any other business
It was recommended by Val Ayres that founder member Rick Thorne should be granted lifetime membership status. Pip also recommended Geoff Wheeler for lifetime membership who also was a founder member.

This was proposed by Mike Sims and seconded by Sandra Lerpiniere.

Decision: Rick Thorne and Geoff Wheeler are to be offered lifetime memberships. Membership Secretary to action.

Alan discussed the Eddystone Rally, organised by St Luke’s Hospice.

It is hoped that as a club we may be able to increase our profile in the area.

Alan asked that interested parties should contact him and offer to either enter their boat or be willing to crew. There is an entry fee of £30 plus an expectation to raise a minimum of £100 for a recognised charity for each participating boat. Both David Evans and Mike Poyntz have offered to make their boats available for the event which takes place on 18/06/22.

As the event clashes with the Western cruise (19/06/22) and the FOGOF (20/06/22) events it was suggested that those taking part could catch up with those leaving earlier, at Fowey.

Pip thanked Mike for arranging the Zoom facility and wished us all a pleasant evening.

The meeting closed at 19:15 and was followed by a pleasant buffet and drinks.

Thursday 13th January 2022

Committee Meeting Minutes

Held remotely a@19.30

Participants:
Margaret Eves:
Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Hilary Poyntz: Honorary Secretary
Mike Poyntz: Honorary Treasurer
Paul Evans: Membership Secretary
Andrew Pascoe: Webmaster
David Evans: Committee Member

Apologies received: Pip Shell, Lynne Shell & Sandra Lerpiniere

The Vice Commodore opened the meeting in absence of the Commodore, and welcomed everyone.

Item 1: Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting held online on 23rd September 2021
The Minutes of the Cattewater Cruising Club Committee Meeting held on 23rd September were accepted as a true record.
It was proposed by Alan Eves and seconded by Dave Evans that the minutes should be accepted as a true record. The Committee members were all in agreement.

Item 2: Matters arising from the Previous Minutes
Lynne to book the Plym Yacht Club for the AGM on Saturday 26th March, 2022 @ 7.30
Completed  – awaiting menu details for buffet.

Alan to issue details of winter walks in due course.
Completed  – walks advised as arranged.

Alan to notify Ofcom the MMSI number can be cancelled.
Completed  – item closed

Pip to terminate the public Facebook page.
Completed  – item closed

Margaret to investigate options for Club logo clothing.
On-going – Margaret investigating options.

Item 3: Agenda and format of the 2022 AGM
The Committee decided that without Commodore present they could not proceed on this item. It was agreed to defer this item until such time as a further Committee meeting could be convened with Commodore present.

Item 4: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report
Cancellation of M.M.S.I. Email forwarded to members dated 3rd October to advise the cancellation of the Club MMSI CALL Sign.
Programme of Winter Walks arranged, the opening walk took place on 28th November. A combined event with Plym Yacht Club with 15 members taking part, followed by Sunday Roast lunch at Plym Yacht Club.
I would like to thank Jon Keeping of Plym Yacht Club for his support with the walk.
A continuing programme of walks throughout the Winter are taking place, with details of each walk emailed to members
I would like to thank members Paul Evans and Bill Joce for their support with the walks programme.
The Cruising Programme for 2022 has been published and emailed to members over the New Year period.
Request for provisional reserved pontoon berths accepted at Fowey and Salcombe to cover Club events for 2022.

Margaret thanked Alan for his report.

Item 4: Honorary Treasurer’s Report
Mike presented a resume of the Treasurers report circulated to committee members in advance. The decisions of Committee ratified at the meeting 25.03.21 to reduce renewing membership fees to £10.00 for the 2021-2022 season results in a shortfall of funds of approximately £400 in the current year. Combined with a £203 invoice for new burgees and a further £68 for a presentation trophy the projected overall shortfall of circa £592 is predicted although future sale of burgees will reduce the expenditure item over time. Some saving have been made with regard to postage and web site, but expenditure incurred with the prizegiving evening with the Club providing a subsidy of £200 in respect of the room charge. Savings against the budget for trophies were made due to the Club holding a stock of tumblers. The overall loss in respect of the prizegiving evening being just £27.00
Current amount at bank is £2792.30 after payment of the fees for the Zoom licence.

Membership fees
Mike presented a budget forecast (see document attached) which shows that with the present fee of £15.00 per member we would not break even in the next financial year, even with sustaining current membership numbers. With likely increased costs for insurance and the probability we may need to provide subsidy for the annual awards evening we should anticipate the need to increase membership fees and £20.00 per member was suggested. There followed a discussion on whether this should be introduced for the forthcoming membership renewal or we give notice at the AGM that the increase would take effect the following year. The general Committee consensus was that £20.00 is such a small amount compared to boat ownership that we should proceed with the increase for the forthcoming renewal, but such a decision to be deferred until the Commodore is able to participate in a further meeting to ratify.

Margaret thanked Mike for his report

Membership Secretary’s Report
Paul indicated he had received notification from Nigel Vaughan-Smith and partner together with Rick Thorne that they would not be renewing membership due to selling their boats.
Andrew asked for an updated membership list so he could amend the WhatsApp group. A general discussion ensued regarding widening our membership catchment with perhaps placing details of the Club at the other marinas in Plymouth. We need to ask members at such marinas if they can investigate if the management are amenable to placing our details on their notice boards.

Margaret thanked Paul for his report.          

Social Secretary’s Report
Margaret passed on details from Lynne that she is awaiting the buffet menu options from PYC following which we can formalise the AGM notification.

Webmaster’s Report
2022 Cruise details are now posted on the Club website. Details of future events (AGM) to follow.

Margaret thanked Andrew for his report.

Update of Future Events
Alan reported he had received information regarding two future events: 
FOGOF cruise to Jersey – has now been circulated to members by Alan.
St Luke’s Hospice Eddystone rally is now confirmed for 18th June. This is a sail to the Eddystone and back to raise funds with a minimum expected fee of £100 per boat. It was considered we could enter a number of boats by taking addition crew from members who were willing to participate. Dave and Mike offered their boats. Hilary suggested we could obtain some tee shirts for the crews with Club logo. This event co-insides with the beginning of the Western cruise but it was considered those taking part would be able to catch up any boats leaving on the Saturday at Fowey the next day.

Details to be circulated by Alan nearer the event.

Any Other Business

Andrew suggested that an additional WhatsApp group be created for information relating to specific cruises as the current group often is used for both ‘general chat’ as well as essential information. This was considered useful and Alan to advise Andrew of participants in each cruise, and Andrew will add them to the new group. After each cruise the group will be deleted.
Alan raised a query with Hilary regarding circulation of RYA Cruising News. Hilary could not recall receiving this from RYA and will investigate.

Action: Hilary to check with RYA and ensure Cruising Newsletter is received and circulated to membership

Margaret summarised the outstanding issues that needed referral to Commodore:
1) Agenda for AGM
2) Change in membership fees.

Margaret to brief Pip and probable action will be to organise a further brief Zoom meeting to ratify outstanding issues.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.30 pm.

Thursday 20th January 2022

Committee Meeting (addendum) Minutes

Held remotely @ 19:30

Participants:
Pip Shell:
Commodore
Margaret Eves: Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Hilary Poyntz: Honorary Secretary
Mike Poyntz: Honorary Treasurer
Paul Evans: Membership Secretary
Lynne Shell: Social Secretary

Apologies received: Andrew Pascoe, David Evans and Sandra Lerpiniere

The Commodore opened the meeting, and welcomed everyone. He then conducted a prize award using a random number generator of all members present at the awards evening in October, to award an unallocated prize. The winner was Margaret Eves.

Item 1: AGM meal arrangements
Lynne reported that Plym Yacht Club would provide a finger buffet for £7.50 per head. This was considered to be good value and will be included in the invite to the AGM.

Item 2: AGM Agenda
i: Draft agenda as circulated agreed. Pip indicated he would lead on item 9 (amendments to Club Constitution).
ii: Items 10 & 11 – election of Club Officers and Committee Members. Pip indicated he was not aware of any Committee member wishing to stand down from their posts, therefore the notice of AGM would show all positions would be filled as existing, unless any member wished to stand, in which case a ballot would be organised.
iii: Item 13 – Membership Fees. Pip advised that the Club Constitution (Item 2.4) stipulated that any change of membership fee would need to be notified and ratified at the AGM for implementation the following year. Hon. Treasurer will outline the reasons for the proposed change to £20.00 at the AGM, and seek ratification from the membership. Membership fees will remain at £15.00 for current year 2022-2023, and membership renewal papers can be issued as normal in February by the Membership Secretary.
iv: It was agreed that as well as a physical presence at AGM it would be useful to offer a Zoom option which might enable a quorum to be achieved (currently 18 required). Mike offered to set this up and will be included in the notice of AGM.
v: It was agreed the notice of forthcoming AGM will be issued mid-February.

There being no further business the meeting concluded at 8.10 pm

Previous years’ agendas & minutes

2021

2020

2019

2018

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013