Agendas & Minutes, 2016

6th October, 2016

Committee Members Meeting minutes

Held at The Boringdon Arms, Plymouth on Thursday 6th October, 2016

Present:

Nigel Vaughan-Smith: Commodore Val Ayres: Vice Commodore Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail Colin Ayres: Honorary Secretary Roger Coleman: Honorary Treasurer Pip Shell: Membership Secretary Lynne Shell: Social Secretary Bev Whitmill: Committee Member Kev Whitmill: Committee Member Celia Coleman: Committee Member Margaret Eves: Committee Member

Item 1. Apologies for Absence An apology had been received from Alan Casey.

Item2. Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting held on 4th May 2016 The Minutes of the Officers and Committee Members Meeting held on 4th May 2016 were passed as a true record.   Proposed by Celia Coleman and seconded by Val Ayres.

Item 3. Matters arising from the Previous Minutes 3.1 Club webmaster to publish details of items required, or for sale, on the Notices section of the Club website. (Item 3.5 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Any member wishing to advertise an item for sale should contact the Webmaster, Alan Casey via the following email address admin@cattewatercruisingclub.org.uk  Item closed.

3.2 The Membership forms and the Club website to be amended to reflect the new charges for the Club burgees. (Item 4 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.3 Commodore to inform members of the details of the 2016 – 2017 Photographic Competition (Item 5 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.4 Social Secretary to investigate means of providing better lighting for the display of photographic entries at the Prize Giving Party. (Item 5 of the previous minutes refers).

Lynne confirmed that she had contacted the management at Kitley House and that the lighting will be improved by the provision of extra lighting and / or relocating the display within the party room. Item closed.

3.5 Honorary Secretary to write to the PPSA informing them of the Club’s response to the points raised regarding cruising at the PPSA committee meeting held on 4th April 2016. (Item 6 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.6 Social Secretary to confirm the bookings for the Laying Up Supper and the Prize Giving Supper. (Item 10 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.7 Rear Commodore Sail to inform members of the Family Floating Picnic and the Beach BBQ planned for July and August 2016. (Item 12 of previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

Item 4: Club Cruising Flag Nigel asked the Committee for their views on introducing a Club cruising flag; this flag would be an additional one and would not take the place of either the burgees or the Officers’ flags. The flag would be available, as priced, to all members and would be to both advertise the Club and encourage members to be proud of cruising together in pairs or as part of a larger fleet and Nigel stated that if it was of the correct design a CCC cruising flag could help publicise the Club and attract new members. A discussion followed and the decision was reached that at present there was no need for a separate cruising flag.

Decision: No need at present for a separate CCC cruising flag.

Item 5: Fitting Out Supper Nigel suggested that the Committee should consider introducing a Fitting Out Supper as an annual event.  He pointed out that the Laying Up Supper and the Prize Giving Party were popular out of season social events, and a Fitting Out Supper in the Spring would fit in well.  The Committee were all in favour of introducing the new event in late April or early May each year. Lynne agreed to investigate possible venues including The Bridge at Yacht Haven and St Elizabeths at Plympton St Maurice.

Action: Lynne to look into possible venues and available dates for a Fitting Out Supper in late April or early May 2017.

Item 6: Trophies and prizes Nigel confirmed that he was happy to organise the engraving of the 6 Club trophies and the purchase and engraving of the 12 tumblers for presentation at the Prize Giving Party. He reported that he had obtained a quotation to cover the engraving and purchase cost and requested that he should be given approval to spend up to £270.The amount included against this cost in the budget for the current year was £300.  It was proposed by Roger and seconded by Pip that Nigel should be given approval to spend up to £270 on trophies and prizes.  The committee was in unanimous agreement.

Decision: Nigel authorised to spend up to £270 to purchase12 engraved glass tumblers and to have the 6 Club trophies engraved with the names of this year’s winners.

Item 7: PPSA Nigel reported that during the summer, representatives of CCC had been invited, by the PPSA, to attend a Plymouth City Council presentation on the future development of the Plymouth waterfront, and in early September,on the Club’s behalf, he and Alan Eves had attended. He reported that at the presentation PCC had asked those attending for feed back and ideas relating to the sailing and watersports community.   Since the meeting, PCC had issued a draft document, which the Club had received via the PPSA, and Alan reported that, on the Club’s behalf, he will be attending a further meeting on 12.10 16 and would generally monitor ongoing activities on this topic.

Item 8: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report Alan reported that this season’ cruising programme had begun on 16th April. 12 cruises had been arranged together with 3 additional events; of these: 5 cruises had been cancelled due to bad weather 3 cruises had gone ahead but been shortened due to bad weather 4 cruises had been completed as planned The Cawsands picnic, the Jennycliff BBQ and the visit to Fowey regatta had been cancelled due to bad weather. There was a total of 85 entries for the cruises. 50 of these actually taking part in cruises which went ahead. 4 of the entries were from Hooe Point Sailing Club. Cruise 11, which had to be cancelled due to bad weather, was a combined cruise with Plymouth Yacht Haven and had been organised as part of the Active Marina programme. The pre-cruise BBQs had been poorly attended. 6 Cruise Reports had been submitted. Alan reported that he had enjoyed the role of Rear Commodore Sail and thanked every one for their support. The cruises which went ahead had gone well. His view was that the shorter cruises had turned out to be the most popular and he would bear that in mind when drawing up next seasons programme.

Nigel thanked Alan on behalf of the Club for the sterling job he had done in the role of RCS.

Item 9: Honorary Treasurer’s Report Roger reported that prior to the meeting he had e mailed to the Committee Members: copies of his Treasurer’s Report and the Income and Expenditure Account, which detailed the Budget set for 2016 –2017 and the costs and income to date.  He pointed out that, due to the unforeseen cost of Insurance, the Income and Expenditure Account for this current year would go into deficit by an estimated amount of £200, which was less than previously predicted due to the healthy increase in membership Although a £50 cash prize for the draw had been included in the budget, it was decided that it was an inappropriate use of Club funds.

Item 10: Membership Secretary’s Report Pip reported that since the last Committee meeting the membership had risen to 76; an increase of 6 from last year.  He had available an up to date list of member’s details

Item 11: Social Secretary’s Report Lynne reported that she had e mailed to members the details of the 2016Laying Up Supper. She confirmed that extra lighting will be provided for the Photographic Competition at the Prize Giving Party and that she will look into venues for the 2017 Fitting Out Supper. The dress code for the Laying Up Supper was confirmed as “smart casual” and for the Prize Giving Party was confirmed as “posh frocks and DJs” Margaret had volunteered to help with the draw at the Prize Giving Party and a reminder was issued regarding the need for prizes to be donated for that event.

Item 12: Webmaster’s Report In Alan’s absence Nigel reported that the Website was up and running ok.

Item 13: Update Diary of Future Events Saturday November 12th 2016: Laying Up Supper Thursday January 12th 2017: Committee Members Meeting Saturday January 28th 2017: Prize Giving Party Saturday March 25th, 2017: AGM

Action: Lynne to check if the Mount Batten Centre is available as the venue for the 2017 AGM and supper.

Item 14: Any other business 14.1 Alan stated that he would be arranging a series of winter walks and would be informing members of the details in due course.

14.2 Nigel referred to the recent email he had circulated from Mount Batten Boathouse, in which they had offered to speak to the Club on various subjects relating to boat ownership. From the responses to his e mail, he noted a wish to take advantage of the offer. It was agreed by the Committee that the presentations should be combined with the monthly Thursday night socials and that the subjects should be outboard and diesel engine maintenance and man overboard systems.

Action: Nigel to contact Mount Batten Boathouse and try to arrange a presentation for 3.11.16.

14.3 Nigel confirmed that he had circulated to members the details of the forthcoming RYA regional conference.

14.4 Pip stated that he held 7 burgees and 3 officer’s flags; Roger held 1 burgee, so it was agreed that there was no need to order any more at present.

14.5 It was pointed out that quite a large proportion of the membership still take no part in Club activities and it was agreed that these members should be contacted to find out their views and to see if there are ways of getting more members to join in.

Action: Val to e mail those members who do not take part in any Club activities, asking their views on the Club programme and details of any extra events they might wish to be included.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 8: 40 pm.

Colin Ayres Honorary Secretary


4th May, 2016

Committee Members Meeting Minutes

Held at The Bridge, Plymouth Yacht Haven on Wednesday 4th May, 2016

Present:

Nigel Vaughan-Smith: Commodore Val Ayres: Vice Commodore Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail Colin Ayres: Honorary Secretary Roger Coleman: Honorary Treasurer Pip Shell: Membership Secretary Lynne Shell: Social Secretary Alan Casey: Club Webmaster Bev Whitmill: Committee Member Kev Whitmill: Committee Member Celia Coleman: Committee Member Margaret Eves: Committee Member

Item 1: Apologies for Absence None. All Committee Members were present.

Item 2: Approval of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting held on 20th January 2016 The Minutes of the Officers and Committee Members Meeting held on 20th January 2016 were passed as a true record. However, a typing error was pointed out in line 10 of Item 5: “QHA website” should read “QHM website”.  Proposed by Celia Coleman and seconded by Alan Casey.

At this point the Commodore welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the new Committee, especially those who were serving for the first time. He expressed the hope that, with himself as the Commodore, things should continue to function as well as they had over the last three years under the leadership of Celia, the past Commodore.

Item 3: Matters arising from the Previous Minutes 3.1 The Vice Commodore to request the PPSA Secretary to e mail correspondence   and details of PPSA meetings to the CCC Honorary Secretary (Item 5 of the previous meeting refers).

This action had been completed.  Item closed.

3.2  The Honorary Treasurer to produce a budget for the 2017 – 2018 season based on an annual subscription of £15 ( Item 7 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.3  Rear Commodore Sail to draft a motion to be put before the AGM that the Club should take out insurance. ( Item 7 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.4 The Honorary Secretary to send out nomination forms to members. ( Item 8 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed. Item closed.

3.5 The Club Webmaster to set up a “Buy and Sell” section on the CCC website. (Item 8 of the 2016 AGM minutes refers).

Alan reported that he was ready to publish “Buy andSell” items under the Notices section of the website and once any relevant information arrived from members he would put it on line.  Item ongoing.

3.6 The Honorary Treasurer to arrange insurance for the Club. ( Item 14 of the previous minutes refers).

This action had been completed and details were included in the Treasurer’s report which is attached to these minutes. Item closed.

Item 4: Club Burgees Nigel reported that the price of burgees had been held at £10 each for the last few years and this meant that they were now being sold at a loss. The recent added expense of providing insurance for the Club meant that there was now a need to cover the burgee costs, and he proposed putting the price up to £15. The Committee was unanimously in agreement.

Nigel reported that one of the Officer flags had been incorrectly printed and could not be issued so would have to be written off. Pip reported that he held 2 Officer flags and 8 Club burgees. Roger reported that he held 3 Club burgees.

Decision: The charge for Club burgees to be increased to £15. Action:  The Membership Forms and Club Website need amending to reflect the new charge for Club burgees.

Item 5: The Photographic Competition Nigel pointed out that he was happy to run the Photographic Competition for the coming year and it was agreed that the rules and format should remain unchanged. The subject of better lighting for the display of photographic entries at Kitley House was discussed and Lynne volunteered to look into the matter.

Decision: The Photographic Competition to continue for the 2016 – 2017 season

Action: Nigel to inform Members about the details of the Photographic Competition.

Action: Lynne to investigate means of providing better lighting for the display of photographic entries.

Item 6: PPSA Cruising update Nigel spoke about the discussion regarding Cruising which had taken place at the recent PPSA meeting which Paddy O’Connor attended on our Club’s behalf. A copy of the minutes of that meeting had been forwarded to the CCC membership.  One item to come out of the PPSA meeting was that they were looking for a club or person to co-ordinate Cruising within the Port of Plymouth. No members of the CCC Committee were interested in taking on that role. The PPSA had also raised the matter of setting up a Cruising Rally which the CCC Committee did not see as being of interest to our Club because our Cruising Programme was full.  Colin pointed out that the PPSA had a copy of  the Club cruising programme A general discussion regarding the PPSA took place and it was agreed that there would be no advantage in the CCC having closer ties with them over Cruising matters. The Committee was in agreement over its response to the points raised regarding Cruising at the PPSA meeting and it was agreed to sum up our position in a letter to them.

Decision: The Club should not accept a lead role on cruising matters within the PPSA.

Action: The Honorary Secretary to write to the PPSA informing them of the Club’s response to the points raised at the PPSA meeting held on 4th April 2016.

Item 7: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report Alan reported that 5 boats had signed up for Cruise 1 but it had been cancelled due to weather conditions; there had however been a very entertaining report, submitted by Pip Shell, of his adventures while sailing in the Sound on the day of the cancelled cruise. 4 boats had signed up for Cruise 2; it also had been cancelled due to the weather but the crews of the signed up boats had met up for a meal at the Mount Batten Pub. Sailing instructions for Cruises 3 and 4 had been issued.

Item 8: Honorary Treasurer’s Report

Roger reported that prior to the meeting he had e mailed to the Committee Members: copies of his Treasurer’s Report and Income and Expenditure Account, which detailed the Budget set for 2016 –2017 and the costs and income to date.  He pointed out that, due to the unforeseen cost of Insurance, the Income and Expenditure Account for this current year would go into deficit and that approximately £400 would be needed from Reserves to cover the loss. This loss would not extend into the 2017 – 2018 financial year because it would be covered by the raising of the Annual Subscription to £15, as agreed at the 2016 AGM. Roger referred to the growing membership which would also have a beneficial affect on the budget.

Item 9: Membership Secretary’s Report Pip reported that there were 70 paid up members so far this season and that he had circulated their details by e mail.

Item 10: Social Secretary’s Report Lynne reported that she had made provisional bookings for both the Laying Up Supper   at The Bridge and the Prize Giving Party at Kitley House. The date for the Laying Up Supper was agreed as 12th November 2016. The date for the Prize Giving Dinner was agreed as 28th January 2017. She also reported that Kitley House Hotel had informed her that the prices for overnight accommodation would be unchanged from last year.

Action: Lynne to confirm the bookings for The Laying Up Supper and the Prize Giving Party.

Item 11: Webmaster’s Report Alan reported that the website had been stable since the new year. When questioned about the possibility of setting up the site so that it would record the number of “hits”, he stated that due to our hosting arrangements the Club received very good value and although the “hits” feature could be added it might push up the cost.

Item 12: Update Diary of Future Events Thursday October 6th 2016: Committee Members Meeting Saturday  November 12th 2016: Laying Up Supper Thursday January 12th  2017: Committee Members Meeting Saturday January 28th 2017: Prize Giving Party Saturday March   25th 2017: AGM

Rear Commodore Sail suggested, and the Committee were in agreement, that there should be two extra events in the Club Diary for the coming year: a floating Picnic at Cawsands and a Beach BBQ at Jennycliff.

23rd July 2016: Floating Family Picnic at Cawsands 6th  August 2016: Beach BBQ at Jennycliff

Action: Alan to send out to Members the details of the Floating Family Picnic and the Beach BBQ.

Item 13: Any other business It was agreed that although Nigel was no longer Rear Commodore Sail he would continue to be responsible for: Trophies and engraving, circulation to Members of Notices to Mariners, Photographic Competition and the Where Are We competition.

It was also agreed that Margaret and Celia would organize the Monthly Socials.   The issue of getting more Members to take part in the Club Cruises was raised by  Val, who, along with Bev, stated that they would try approaching Club Members on Yacht Haven Marina as a means of increasing the number of participants.

Roger raised the matter of impromptu BBQs and the ease with which Members can be informed by e mail.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 8: 50 pm.

Colin Ayres, Honorary Secretary

——————–

19th March, 2016

Annual General Meeting Minutes

Held at The Mountbatten Centre, Plymouth @ 18:00 on Saturday 19th March, 2016

Present: Nigel Vaughan-Smith: Rear Commodore Sail Colin Ayres: Honorary Secretary Roger Coleman: Honorary Treasurer Pip Shell: Membership Secretary Lynne Shell: Social Secretary Alan Casey: Club Webmaster Together with 16 other Voting Members

Item 1: Apologies for Absence Apologies for absence had been received from the following members: Celia Coleman: Club Commodore Bill Hill: Vice Commodore Bev Whitmill: Committee Member Kev Whitmill: Committee Member Angela Hill, Martin Kimber, Lorraine Kimber, Graham Norris, Glenda O’Connor, Paddy O’Connor

The Rear Commodore Sail welcomed everyone and announced that due to the unfortunate absence through illness of Celia Coleman, the Club Commodore, he would be chairing the meeting and on behalf of everyone present he wished Celia a speedy recovery.

Item 2:  Approval of the Minutes of the previous AGM held on Saturday, 21st March 2015 These Minutes were taken as read, as they had been circulated to Members together with the calling notice for the 2016 AGM.  Margaret Eves proposed that they be approved as a true record; this was seconded by Ann Carter.  This proposal was carried unanimously.

Decision:  The Minutes of the AGM held on 21st March 2015 were approved as a true record of that meeting.

Item 3:  Matters arising from the previous AGM Minutes 3.1 The booking of Kitley House as the venue for the 2016 Prize Giving Party ( item 7 of the 2015 AGM minutes refers).

Nigel reported that Lynne Shell, our Social Secretary, had booked Kitley House for the 2015 Prize Giving Party; it had been a great success and was thoroughly enjoyed by the thirty five members who attended. He thanked Lynne for her efforts in organising the event. Action closed.

3.2 The setting up of regular monthly socials ( item 7 of 2015 AGM refers) The regular social gatherings had been held on the first Thursday of each month, with attendances fluctuating between 1 and 12 and settling at about 8 to10. Most of the gatherings had been held at the Boringdon, but due to the ongoing uncertainty over its future and the lack of cooking facilities, the last two gatherings had been held at the Clovely Arms, which Nigel pointed out had been one of the CCC meeting points in the early days of the Club. While there continues to be solid support the monthly gatherings will continue.

Action: closed.

Item 4: Commodore’s Report

The Rear Commodore Sail read the Commodore’s Report: Although 2015 was not a particularly good sailing season, I consider it was another very successful year for the Club. Those cruises which went ahead were well supported and fully enjoyed by the participants. We have had some excellent social functions. We have had beach BBQs, Winter Walks, the monthly gatherings and the Photographic Competition, all of which have had a good level of support from members. And last but not least the membership has continued to increase steadily. As I have said before the Club is its members, and its success, or otherwise, is down purely to the level of active participation of its members. I also wish to thank the other Officers and Committee members for all their efforts and contributions to the success of the season and for their outstanding support to me as Commodore. Finally, as you are aware, after 3 years as Commodore, I am standing down at this AGM. It has been an honour and a privilege to serve as your Commodore throughout this period, and I wish the Club every good fortune and fair weather for the future.

After reading the report, Nigel informed the meeting that the presentation to Celia of her Past Commodore’s flag will take place at a suitable time in the future.

Corinne Hurrell spoke for the meeting as a whole when she expressed everyone’s great appreciation for Celia and the manner in which she had fulfilled her role as Commodore.

Item 5:  Rear Commodore Sail’s Report

Rear Commodore Sail referred members to his full report, which had been circulated with the AGM reminder; a copy is also attached to these minutes. He highlighted that 2015 had not been a great sailing season due to the abysmal weather that had prevailed for much of the summer. There had been some short interludes that had enabled some respectable cruising and he thanked all members for their perseverance and participation when the opportunities arose. He stated that he was particularly grateful for all of the excellent cruise reports he had received, the enthusiasm for the Photographic Competition and the response to the “Where Are We” competition and the many photographs that had been sent to tease the other members. He then pleaded that members produce even more cruise reports during the coming season and even more entries for the Photographic Competition. He ended by confirming that he was standing down after 4 years as Rear Commodore Sail and thanked all members for their help and support during the period. He then said that he believed the Club would be even better served by his successor, Alan Eves, should he be elected later in the meeting. Nigel added that he and Alan had developed the 2016 cruising programme together and he knew that Alan had some exiting new ideas to try out during the forth coming season.

Item 6: Membership Secretary’s Report

The Membership Secretary read aloud his report, a copy of which had been circulated with the AGM reminder and is also attached to these minutes. Pip reported that the there had been almost 100% renewal of membership for the 2016 season and that the process of paying subscriptions had been helped by internet banking. Nigel thanked Pip for his commitment to the Club over yet another year.

Item 7: Social Secretary’s Report

The Social Secretary’s read aloud her report, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder and is also attached to these minutes.  Members attending agreed how much they had enjoyed both the Laying Up Supper, which was held at The Bridge, and the Prize Giving Party. When asked by Nigel if they would like to see changes made to the Social events for the coming year the unanimous agreement was that members would like the same events and venues as they had enjoyed for the 2015 – 2016 year. Nigel thanked Lynne for the manner in which she had so successfully organised the social events over the past year.

Item 8: Webmaster’s Report

The Webmaster read aloud his report, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder and is also attached to these minutes.  Alan reported that, despite some technical problems at the end of 2015, the Club site was back to normal. A few changes had been made to improve the format. Alan stated that once again the Club owed a vote of thanks to Tim Greenwood for hosting the CCC website.  When asked if members had any comments regarding the website, Corinne asked if the Club had ever considered a section for buying and selling of sailing related items. Discussion followed and it was agreed by the meeting to be a good idea so Nigel asked Alan to implement the facility. Nigel thanked Alan for all of the work he had put in over the last year.

Action: Alan to set up a buying and selling section on the CCC website.

Item 9:  Presentation of Accounts by the Honorary Treasurer

The Honorary Treasurer stated that a copy of the Income and Expenditure Accounts for 2015/16 had been circulated to all Members, by email, prior to the meeting. He stated that the Club was financially sound with a current account of £1,441.10 and a deposit account of £1,060.67. These figures included a sum of £274.35 for prepayments of fees and social functions falling into the 2016 – 2017 financial year. The income / expenditure account showed a small loss of £4.37; this amount was due to the additional expenditure on Club burgees and a minor increase in the cost of trophy purchase and engraving. Roger confirmed that the accounts had been examined by the Club Accounts Examiner, Yvonne Traynor, and found to be correct. He pointed out that the membership fees for the financial year 2016- 2017 had been agreed at last years AGM. Any unexpected shortfall in income would be taken out of reserves.

Nigel thanked Roger for his report and all the work he had done in the past year. He briefly explained that the extra engraving cost had come about through “lost records coming to light “which had enabled the Club to fill in a lot of blanks on several of the Club trophies.

There were no questions about the accounts from Members present and it was proposed by Alan Eves and seconded by Lynn Sims that the Signed Off Income and Expenditure Account For The Year Ending 28th February 2016 should be accepted as a true record and members  were unanimous in support of the proposal.

Decision: The Examined Accounts, a copy of which is attached to these minutes, were accepted as a true and accurate record of the Club’s finances for the Financial Year ending 28th February 2016.

Item 10:  Approval of Revision 2 to the Club Constitution.

Nigel pointed out to the meeting that a copy of the draft revision was circulated with the Calling Notice together with the rationale behind the changes. He referred briefly to the changes and opened the subject to general discussion. All present were in favour of the proposed changes. It was proposed by Roger Coleman and seconded by Valerie Ayres that Revision 2 to the Club Constitution, as presented, should be approved. There was unanimous agreement to the proposition.

Decision: Revision 2 to the Club Constitution was approved.

Item 11: Election of Club Officers.

Nigel began by thanking Bill Hill for all his efforts and support for the Club over the last 2 years in his role as Vice Commodore and, although Bill and Angela were now boat less, he hoped that we would still see them as regular attendees at future Club socials. Nigel referred members to the sheet, which had recently been circulated with the AGM reminder; it concerned the Election of Club Officers and listed the nominations for the 5 positions as follows:

Nigel Vaughan-Smith: Commodore Val Ayres: Vice Commodore Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail Colin Ayres: Honorary Secretary Roger Coleman: Honorary Treasurer

He made the point that over the past 3 years the Club had prospered with a female Commodore and that by electing Val Ayres as the Vice Commodore the female input and balance would continue among the Club Officers.

It was proposed by Ian Foster and seconded by Iain Carter that these 5 nominees should be elected to serve in the posts given for the coming year. There was unanimous agreement to the proposition.

Decision: The Club Officers for the 2016 – 2017 were elected as listed above.

Item 12:  Election of Club Committee Members

Nigel referred the members present to a further sheet which had been sent out with the AGM reminder; this one listed nominations received for Committee Member positions as follows:

Pip Shell: Membership Secretary Alan Casey: Club Webmaster Lynne Shell: Social Secretary Committee Members: Bev Whitmill, Kev Whitmill, Margaret Eves, Celia Coleman.

It was proposed by Yvonne Traynor and seconded by Chris Reilly that the above Members should be elected to serve in the post as listed for the coming year. The proposal was carried unanimously.

Decision: The Club Committee Members for the 2016-2017 Season were elected as listed above.

Item 13:  Appointment of the Club’s Accounts Examiner

Nigel thanked Yvonne Traynor for her efforts over the past few years and particularly for examining the 2015/2016 Club Accounts and she stated that she was willing to continue in that role for the coming year.

Margaret Eaves proposed that Yvonne Traynor should be appointed as the Club’s Accounts Examiner for the 2016-2017 financial year; this was seconded by Ann Carter and agreed unanimously.

Decision:  Yvonne Traynor was appointed as the Club’s Accounts Examiner for the 2016-2017 financial year.

Item 14: Club Insurance.

Nigel stated that the Officers and Committee Members were well aware that this was a fairly emotive topic, about which many members held some fairly strong views. He then highlighted the salient points from the background to the requirement for Club Insurance, a copy of which was circulated with the Calling Notice and a further copy is attached to these minutes. He then asked the Honorary Treasurer to summarize his research into the likely cost of the relevant insurance. Roger reported that he had obtained several quotations for the provision of insurance and they varied from around £450 to £680 per annum; the cheapest being quoted by the Company recommended by the RYA. He had prepared 2 provisional budgets for the year 2017 – 2018. One provisional budget included the cost of insurance and illustrated how additional income could be raised to cover the increased cost through increasing the annual subscription to £15. The other provisional budget, which did not include insurance, showed the annual subscription remaining at £10. Both provisional budgets assumed that the number of members would remain at 55 which had been the average for the last 5 years. Copies of these provisional budgets had been circulated with the AGM reminder. Nigel then opened the subject for general discussions which covered: whether other Sailing Clubs held insurance; what the consequences could be if we continued to operate the Club Cruising Programme in its present format without insurance; what we would be insuring against and whether Club Insurance would affect Member’s insurance. In closing the discussion, Nigel emphasized that the Officers and Committee Members had had an equally in depth discussion on the subject at their last meeting. In the end, their unanimous recommendation was that the Club should take out insurance and continue with an organised formal cruising programme along a similar format to that of the last 4 years, particularly because this was one of the key attractions of the Club to new members. In making this recommendation it had been accepted that to do so would necessitate a small increase in the annual subscription rate.

The proposition was made by Yvonne Trainer and seconded by Chris Reilly that the Club should take out the necessary insurance. Support for the proposition was unanimous.

Decision: The Club is to take out the necessary insurance.

Action: The Honorary Treasurer is to arrange insurance for the Club and its representatives against third party liability for organised Club activities and events.

Item 15: Membership Fees for the Financial Year 2016-2017.

In introducing the matter of Membership fees, Nigel pointed out that the annual subscription had been maintained at £10 since 2002, but having agreed in the previous agenda item to take out insurance, it would be necessary to raise the subscription by £5.  Nigel then asked Roger to run through his draft budget for 2017 – 2018 predicated on an increase in annual subscription of £5. Roger explained that the draft budget was based on a membership of 55; an increase in the membership fee to £15; an insurance premium of £450; fees to RYA and PPSA amounting to £190; trophies £135; website £30 and printing and postage £20. The income of £825 from Membership fees would balance the expenditure of £825.

Mike Sims proposed and Yvonne Traynor seconded that the rate of the annual subscription for the Financial Year 2017 – 2018 should be increased to £15 and there was unanimous agreement by members present.

Decision: The membership fee for the 2017 – 2018 will be £15.

Item 16: Any Other Business.

In the absence of the Commodore, and on behalf of the Club, the Honorary Secretary thanked Nigel for the great deal of time and effort he had put into his role as Rear Commodore Sail, which he had held for the last 4 years, and pointed out that the formal cruising programme which Nigel had introduced was greatly appreciated and seen by many members as the main attraction of the Club.

In the Commodore’s absence Nigel then presented the Walker Trophy to Alan Farnworth, which Alan had won for completing the longest individual cruise during the 2015 – 2016 season. Alan had been unable to attend the Prize Giving Party at Kitley House where the Trophy should have been awarded.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at approximately 19:15 and members adjourned for a curry and drinks.

Colin Ayres Honorary Secretary Cattewater Cruising Club