Annual General Meeting Minutes

16th March, 2019

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of The Cattewater Cruising Club

Held at Mountbatten Watersports & Activities Centre, Plymouth PL99SJ @ 18:30 on Saturday, 16th March, 2019

 

Present:

Nigel Vaughan- Smith: Commodore
Valerie Ayres: Vice Commodore
Alan Eves: Rear Commodore Sail
Colin Ayres: Honorary Secretary
Roger Coleman: Honorary Treasurer
Pip Shell: Membership Secretary
Lynne Shell: Social Secretary
Kevin Whitmill : Committee Member
Bev Whitmill: Committee Member
Celia Coleman: Committee Member
Margaret Eves: Committee Member

Together with 9 other Voting Members.

The Honorary Secretary confirmed that the attendance of 19 voting members established the quorum necessary for business to be conducted.

Item 1: Apologies for Absence

Apologies for absence had been received from the following members:

Dave Evans
Glenda O’Connor
Paddy O’Connor
Russel Burman
Viv Burman
Alan Casey
Gale Casey
Mike Poyntz
Hilary Poyntz
Rick Thorne
Brian Tilton
Nina Tilton

The Commodore welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked them for attending.

Item 2: Approval of the Minutes of the Previous AGM held on Saturday 24th March 2018.

These Minutes were taken as read, as they had been circulated to members together with the calling notice for the 2019 AGM.

Celia Coleman proposed that they be approved as a true record; this was seconded by Margaret Eves.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Minutes of the AGM held on 24th March, 2018 were approved as a true record of that meeting.

Item 3: Matters Arising from the Previous AGM Minutes

3.1 The Club to review the added value it received from affiliation to the PPSA over the past year. (Item 15 of the 2018 AGM minutes refers).

Nigel reported that this matter had been reviewed at the most recent Committee meeting and would be discussed under item 13 of this Agenda

Item closed

Item 4: Commodore’s Report.

Nigel began his report by informing the meeting that 2018 could be classed as a very good season for the Club; there had been some great cruises, excellent social events, and a healthy membership had

Nigel reported that this matter had been reviewed at the most recent Committee meeting and would be discussed under item 13 of this Agenda

Item closed

Item 4: Commodore’s Report.

Nigel began his report by informing the meeting that 2018 could be classed as a very good season for the Club; there had been some great cruises, excellent social events, and a healthy membership had been maintained.

He pointed out that the success of the Club was purely down to the members and the level of their active participation; he thanked everyone for their involvement across the whole spectrum of Club activities, which, he stated, had enabled the CCC to continue to thrive and grow.

He stated that the Club had been particularly blessed by having a very committed, competent, conscientious and long serving Committee and it was probably unique in having every position filled and even more members than required by the Club Constitution.

He thanked the Officers and Committee Members for all their efforts and contributions to the success of the past season and pointed out that some have bigger roles than others but all had provided outstanding support to him as Commodore over the last three years.

Nigel expressed his appreciation to the individual members of the Committee members as follows:

Bev and Kev Whitmill who had steadfastly supported the Club and provided sound input to Committee decisions,

Similarly, Celia Coleman and Margaret Eves, who had also organised the monthly “Bori” socials and the very successful Prize Giving Dinner raffles,

Alan Casey who, despite being self- taught, had been a very successful Webmaster,

Lynne Shell, whose enthusiasm in researching venues and organising fabulous formal social events had been unparalleled,

Pip Shell who had been the Membership Secretary since 2005 and had done an outstanding job throughout,

Colin Ayres who had been a most conscientious and thorough Honorary Secretary,

Roger Coleman whose tenacity and exemplary efforts as Honorary Treasurer had kept the Club’s accounts so healthy over the years,

Alan Eves, Rear Commodore Sail, whose position on the Committee was possibly the most demanding and whose selfless dedication, tireless enthusiasm and hard work had ensured the Club’s continuing success,

Val Ayres, Vice Commodore, who when first offered the role had expressed her concern over lack of experience and competency but had risen to the challenge and demonstrated the qualities to become a very successful Commodore.

Nigel confirmed his retirement as Commodore and closed his report by wishing the Club continuing long term success and fair weather and favourable tides to all for the forthcoming season.

Item 5: Rear Commodore Sail’s Report.

Alan read aloud his report, a copy of which had been circulated prior to the AGM.

The report began by informing the meeting that there had been an increase in members joining in the CCC cruises during the 2018 season. A total of 57 entries had signed up for and completed all or part of the 9 cruises which had gone ahead. Two cruises were cancelled due to poor weather forecasts.

The 2018 season again confirmed the popularity of the shorter weekend cruises.

There had been 2 winter walks during 2019, the first of which had been a combined walk with Plym Yacht Club, and Alan expressed his thanks to them for their hospitality; the second had been a walk in the Bovey Valley. The 2 walks had attracted a total of 30 participants.

The 2019 CCC cruising programme had been published consisting of 10 planned cruises with some new destinations and some returns to familiar moorings.

Alan finished his report by thanking the Committee and the Club members for their support during 2018 and telling the meeting that he was looking forward to a successful season in the coming year.

Nigel thanked Alan for his report.

Item 6: Membership Secretary’s Report.

Pip read aloud his report, a copy of which had been circulated with the AGM reminder.

The report stated that the CCC membership had dipped a little last year to 79 members, and that at the time of issue the membership for the current year stood at 61including 5 life members, however, in the last few days the membership had risen to 67. Pip had been notified of one member not renewing for the coming season but reported that the Club had gained 5 new members since August last year.

He had anticipated in his report that the Club’s bank statement would show a few latecomers at the beginning of March and possibly a few more by the AGM.

He reported a good response from members letting him know about when they had made payments by bank transfers and confirmed how helpful this was in managing his records and the bank account.

Membership cards had been either posted or delivered by hand to members’ pigeon holes at Plymouth Yacht Haven, others would be given out at the AGM.

His report emphasized the importance of members making him aware of when they have made payment of their subscription by bank transfer.

Pip pointed out that he held a stock of burgees which could be purchased from him and concluded his report by thanking the members for their support.

Nigel thanked Pip for his report and made the point that due to the fact that Plymouth Yacht Haven publicises our Club to their new clients, and some only sail with us for one season, membership tends to drop off at renewal times but picks up as the sailing season progresses.

Both the Club and PYH benefited from this arrangement and Nigel expressed the Club’s gratitude to PYH.

He had anticipated in his report that the Club’s bank statement would show a few latecomers at the beginning of March and possibly a few more by the AGM.

He reported a good response from members letting him know about when they had made payments by bank transfers and confirmed how helpful this was in managing his records and the bank account.

Membership cards had been either posted or delivered by hand to members’ pigeon holes at Plymouth Yacht Haven, others would be given out at the AGM.

His report emphasized the importance of members making him aware of when they have made payment of their subscription by bank transfer.

Pip pointed out that he held a stock of burgees which could be purchased from him and concluded his report by thanking the members for their support.

Nigel thanked Pip for his report and made the point that due to the fact that Plymouth Yacht Haven publicises our Club to their new clients, and some only sail with us for one season, membership tends to drop off at renewal times but picks up as the sailing season progresses.

Both the Club and PYH benefited from this arrangement and Nigel expressed the Club’s gratitude to PYH.

Item 7: Social Secretary’s Report.

Lynne read aloud her report, a copy of which was circulated with the AGM reminder.

Lynne stated that another year had passed and our usual calendar events had taken place.

The “first Thursday in the month” socials had continued, with always someone new turning up.

The Laying Up Supper at Staddon Heights had been most enjoyable with the bonus of a magnificent view.

The Prize Giving and Photographic Competition event had been successfully held at Kitley, once again due to popular demand, and a good evening had been had by all. A raffle had been held with some great prizes, thanks to members and especially to Margaret Eves for having supplied some lovely items. The draw had raised the grand sum of £200 for the RNLI.

Lynne informed the meeting that no other Social events were planned for the rest of this year, other than the Cruises and the Thursday Social evenings.

Lynne confirmed that she was happy to continue in her role as Social Secretary for another year and thanked everyone for their support.

Nigel thanked Lynne for all her efforts as Social Secretary over the last year and expressed his disappointment at the low turnout at some events, particularly when considered against the efforts which Lynne had expended in their organisation.

He asked the meeting for comments regarding ways of improving participation in the Club Social events, which were generally only attended by the same active core of members.

A general discussion followed and it was agreed that Val would write to all members to try to get their views regarding existing Club activities and suggestions for any new ones.

Action: Val to email members to gain feedback on existing Club activities and suggestions for new ones

Item 8: Webmaster’s Report.

In Alan Casey’s absence Nigel read aloud a copy of the report which had been circulated to members with the AGM reminder.

The report stated that the website, which had generally been problem free since the last AGM, had been hosted by Tim Greenwood for approximately the last 8 years and had originally been set up by Chris Greenwood; Tim had never been a member of the CCC and had never really charged a great deal for his service.

Last January when the domain name was up for renewal Chris had indicated that it might be a good time to move to another provider and therefore Alan had only extended the domain name for a further year. Alan’s report recorded how grateful the Club should be to both Tim and Chris Greenwood for their past and continued support.

Alan confirmed that he will be stepping down as Webmaster and passing the duties to Andrew Pascoe, the new Webmaster, and the 12 months extension of the domain name will give the Club the opportunity to implement the necessary changes.

The report went on to record that the Club had a Facebook page as recommended by the RYA and in the last 12 months he had also set up a closed Facebook group, which at the time of writing stood at 23 members. It is the intention to keep the closed group for paid up Club members only and all members were welcome to join it. Facebook was set up to compliment the website and allow members to share their sailing experiences and to show that the CCC is an active club.

Alan pointed out that although Facebook might be controversial, the RYA had suggested that most members of clubs are more than likely to use it; they also stated that it should be run in tandem with a website, and both would then act as a shop window for prospective club members.

He concluded by expressing how much he had enjoyed the role of Webmaster but felt that because he no longer owned a boat it was a challenge to keep the Website up to date, and he thanked Nigel for his help in the website management.

Nigel expressed the Club’s thanks to Alan for all he had done in the past 5 years to keep the website up and running.

Item 9: Presentation of Accounts by the Honorary Treasurer

Honorary Treasurer’s Report:

Roger stated that a copy of the Honorary Treasurer’s Report together with details of the

Income and Expenditure Account for the year ending 28th February 2019 had been circulated to all members, by email, prior to the meeting.

He explained that the Accounts Examiner had not been able to sign off the accounts due to being storm bound across the channel. Difficulties in getting the accounts signed off had been exacerbated by the Bank not providing final statements until the second week in March and for this reason he requested that future AGMs should be held later in the month of March.

The proposed budget for 2019- 2020 had also been circulated prior to the meeting and was based on a paid- up membership of 70

Roger referred to the income and expenditure account for the past year which recorded a surplus of £234.44 and also to the Deposit Account which held £1062.32

Problems had arisen over the last year, due to members not providing him with information relating to BACS payments made to the Club. Roger reiterated that it was imperative that he was kept informed of such payments.

An acknowledgement had been received from the RNLI for the £200 donation raised by the Club through the raffle held at the Prize Giving Party.

An invoice had recently been received from the PPSA for the £90 subscription for the coming year; this amount was included in the 2019-2020 Draft Budget which forecasted a deficit of £60. Roger confirmed that action would be taken regarding the invoice in accordance with the outcome of the decision made regarding item 13 of the AGM agenda

The setting up of new banking mandates to accommodate changes to Club Officers was ongoing

Nigel thanked Roger for his report and all the diligent work he had done in the past year and recognised the need to hold the AGM in the month of March and pointed out that unfortunately, this year the Mount Batten Centre were not able to accommodate us later in the month.

There were no questions about the accounts or the Draft Budget from members present.

In view of the accounts not having been signed off Nigel asked that they be accepted as a true and accurate record subject to them being signed off by the Club’s Accounts Examiner

It was proposed by Ian Foster and seconded by Paul Evans that the Income and Expenditure Account for The Year Ending 28th February 2019 should be accepted as a true and accurate record, subject to them being signed off by the Club’s Accounts Examiner.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Income and Expenditure Account, a copy of which is attached to these minutes, was accepted as a true and accurate record of the Club’s finances for the Financial Year ending 28th February 2019, subject to them being signed off by the Club’s Accounts Examiner.

Item 10: Election of Club Officers.

Nigel referred members to the sheet, which had recently been circulated with the AGM reminder, it concerned the Election of Club Officers and listed the nominations for the 5 positions as follows:

Commodore: Val Ayres
Vice Commodore: Margaret Eves
Rear Commodore Sail: Alan Eves
Honorary Secretary: Colin Ayres
Honorary Treasurer: Roger Coleman

It was proposed by Sandra Lerpiniere and seconded by Kevin Whitmill, that these 5 nominees should be elected to serve in the posts given for the coming year.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Club Officers for the 2019 – 2020 season were elected as listed above.

Item 11: Election of Club Committee Members

Nigel referred the members to a further sheet which had been sent out with the AGM reminder, this one listed the nominations received for Committee Member positions as follows:

Membership Secretary: Pip Shell
Club Webmaster: Andrew Pascoe
Social Secretary: Lynne Shell
Committee Members: Bev Whitmill, Kevin Whitmill, Celia Coleman, Sandra Lerpiniere, David Evans

It was proposed by Kevin Thomas and seconded by Paul Evans, that the above Members should be elected to serve in the posts as listed for the coming year.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Club Committee Members for the 2019-2020 season were elected as listed above

Item 12: Appointment of the Club’s Accounts Examiner

Nigel expressed the Club’s gratitude to Yvonne Traynor for examining the 2018-2019 Club Accounts. She was, as explained earlier, currently stranded by the weather in Brittany, but had volunteered to continue for another year in the role of Examiner of the Club Accounts.

It was proposed by Margaret Eves and seconded by Ian Foster, that Yvonne Traynor should be appointed as the Club’s Accounts Examiner for the 2019-2020 financial year.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: Yvonne Traynor was appointed as the Club’s Accounts Examiner for the 2019-2020 financial year

Item 13: Review of Club Affiliations

Nigel stated that the Club had two affiliations.

The first was to the Royal Yachting Association which costs the Club £125 a year. The RYA membership provided the Club with reciprocal rights to use the facilities at all other RYA affiliated Clubs that we might visit during the course of our Club and individual cruises. It also provided us with access to advice and assistance from the RYA legal and other specialist departments.

The Committee’s recommendation was that this was good value for money and that we should retain our affiliation to the RYA

It was proposed by Andrew Pascoe and seconded by Sandra Lariviere that the Club remains affiliated to the RYA.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Club is to remain affiliated to The Royal Yachting Association.

The second affiliation, Nigel reported, was to the Port of Plymouth Sailing Association, whose fees were £90 a year and he reminded members that at last year’s AGM a motion was passed to review the value our PPSA affiliation would bring to the Club during the 2018-2019 season.

At this point Alan Eves reported that he had attended 3 PPSA committee meetings during the last year and nothing discussed at any of those meetings had offered anything in support of cruising; their primary interest was in PPSA club racing.

Nigel stated that concern over the value of PPSA affiliation had been a subject of debate at several recent CCC AGMs; the view expressed at those meetings had been that we ought to remain affiliated because all the other local clubs were, but he pointed out, several clubs and associations had recently withdrawn their affiliation, so he considered that argument no longer was valid. The matter had been discussed at the most recent Committee meeting and the view of the Committee was that our subscription should not be renewed.

It was proposed by David Hallett and seconded by Andrew Pascoe that the Club should cease to be affiliated to the PPSA forthwith.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal.

Decision: The Club is to cease its affiliation to the Port of Plymouth Sailing Association.

Action: Val to write to the PPSA to inform them that we be ceasing our affiliation.

Item 14 Membership fees for the financial year 2020-2021

After introducing this item, Nigel asked Roger for his views on the subscription fee for the 2020- 2021 season; the reply from the Honorary Treasurer was that his budget for that period would be based on a subscription fee of £15 per person and a membership of approximately 70 and his suggestion was that the fee should remain at that figure.

It was proposed by Sandra Lerpiniere and seconded by Ian Foster that the rate of the annual subscription for the financial year 2020-2021 be maintained at £15.

There was unanimous agreement to the proposal

Decision: The rate of the annual subscription for the financial year 2020-2021 to be maintained at £15

Item15: Any other business.

Val Ayres raised the question of how information regarding members looking for crew and crews looking for boats could be published throughout the Club. A general discussion took place and it was suggested by Andrew Pascoe that a “Whats App” group could be set up to deal with this and could also be used as an easy means of communication for those who wished to be part of the group. The “Whats App” group would, however, not become the formal means of Club communications with the members.

It was agreed that Val and Andrew would work together to invite members to join the group, if they wished, and to set up the group.

Action; Val and Andrew to set up a”WhatsApp” group.

Alan Eves asked the members present if they felt it was necessary for him to issue member’s MMSI details when sending out details of those participating in Club cruises.

It was agreed that it was not.

There being no other business Nigel tried to close the meeting at 19:35 but was interrupted by Val, who on behalf of the Club presented him with an inscribed whisky decanter.

The decanter carried the CCC logo and the inscription:

Presented by the Cattewater Cruising Club,

in appreciation to

Nigel Vaughan-Smith

Commodore 2016-2019

Rear Commodore Sail 2012- 2016.

Val made a short speech, tried hard not to be too emotional and tried to convey to Nigel, the very high esteem the members held him in for all he had done for the Cattewater Cruising Club.

Colin Ayres,

Honorary Secretary,

The Cattewater Cruising Club.

——————————————————

2018 CCC AGM Minutes

2017 CCC AGM Minutes

2016 CCC AGM Minutes

2015 CCC AGM Minutes

2014 CCC  AGM Minutes

2013 CCC AGM Minutes